My second recipe for 11-11-11 is another inspirational idea from a new friend, Jennifer, who also follows me on Facebook. One of her favorite recipes this summer was the zucchini salsa, not only for the great use of the summer squash, but for the flavor combination. As we moved closer to fall she wrote to me about the possibility of shredded eggplant as a substitution for the squash. Jennifer did the recipe last week and I needed to try it for myself.
Eggplant salsa has the flavors that are reminiscent of eggplant parmesan without the cheese.
- 5 cups shredded eggplant
- 2 pc. medium red peppers, diced
- 1 1/2 pc. medium red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 1/2 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- In a large bowl combine; eggplant, onions, red pepper and the 1/4 cup salt. Mix together cover and let stand over night in refrigerator.
- Rinse, drain well and put into a large pot then add mustard, garlic, cumin, vinegar, brown sugar, pepper flakes, 1/2 T. salt, pepper, tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Ladle into sterilized jars filling to 1/2" headspace. I added 1 T. bottled lemon juice to each of the pint jars and 1/2 T to half pint. Remove air bubbles, Wipe rims, add hot lids and rings. Water bath jars for 15 minutes at a full boil.
- Makes 3 pints and 1 half pint.
Leave a Reply