Looking for good green tomatoes canning recipes? If a frost is coming and you have unripe tomatoes left on your vines, you can avoid wasting them by making fried green tomatoes, or, to keep them for longer, try canning them
The mouth-watering pictures for this Green Tomato Pickles recipe make it a tempting idea.
Canning Green Tomato Pickles
- 2-3 pounds fresh green tomatoes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pickling spices
- 1 L water
- 5-6 pint canning jars
- Slice washed green tomatoes into 1/4″ sections,placing them in a non-reactive pot (stainless steel is good).
- Layer tomato slices with kosher slat and picklingspice mix.
- Pour 2 cups water and three cups vinegar overtomatoes to cover.
- Bring to simmer and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Fill pint-size prepared canning jars with greentomato mixture.
- Wipe jar rims and fasten sterilized lids on withbands.
- Lower jars into boiling water bath; water mustcover tops of jars by at least an inch
- Process jars in canner with boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Remove jars, allow to cool, and check for properseals before storing.