As we winddown winter canning and look forward to produce for the spring and summer thereare still so many canning projects we can do in between. Barbara, one of myavid followers on Facebook, finds canning a great way to make amazing food forher family. I was pleased to see that she came up with a recipe that combinedthe simplicity of ground beef with veggies to make a dish that was either astand-alone or combined with your favorite pasta as a quick and easy meal.Thank you Barbara for letting me share this with Canning Homemadefollowers.
- 2-3 lbs ground beef
- 1 pc. yellow onion – chopped
- 3 T. Worcestershire
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped peppers. Serrano, any bell pepper.For color I used sweet peppers red, yellow and orange.
- 3 cups tomato sauce or 2-3 qts whole peeledtomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp. chipotle seasoning
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste
- 2 tsp. drymustard
- Brownthe ground beef with onions and peppers, then add minced garlic. Season withsalt and pepper to salt. Be sure to drain well.
- Get a 4quart pot or Dutch oven. Combine ground beef, veggies, tomatoes and anythingthat’s left goes into this pot (dry ingredients). Simmer for 20-30minutes.
Filling the jars:
- On a dishtowel place your hot jars. Fillyour jars with the mixture to 1" headspace. Remove air bubbles and refillto the proper headspace if necessary.
- Taking a clean papertowel and wipe therims of the jars with white vinegar removing any food particles that would interfere witha good seal.
- Using your magic wand extract the lids from the hot water andplace them on the now cleaned rims. Add your rings to the tops of each of thejars and turn to seal just "finger tight".
- Make sure yourcanning water has come to a simmer and place the jars in the pressurecanner. Lock the lid and turn up the heat bring the canner to a boil.
- Vent steam for 10 minutes, then close the vent by adding the weighted gauge orpressure regulator (for dial gauge canner). Processpints for 75 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure (11 lbs for dial gauge canner) andquarts at 90 minutes.
- When complete turn off the heat and let pressure return to zero naturally. Wait twominutes longer and open vent. Remove canner lid.
- Wait 10 minutes then removejars and place on dishtowel in a place that they will sit overnight to cool. Donot touch or move them till the next morning.
- Sometimein the next hour your jars will be making a "pinging" or"popping" noise. That is the glass cooling and the reaction of thelids being sucked into the jar for proper sealing. Some recipes may takeovernight to seal. Check your lids and reprocess any jars that did not seal.Remove rings for storage.
- From Barbara: Add or remove spices to you and yourfamily’s taste. It can be as spicy as you like it. Add brown sugar if you likeadded sweetness. You can serve this with elbow macaroni or the pastaof your choice.
AMPPosted on: September 8, 2019
Please tell me what 1 pc means. I am new to canning and have not run across that measurement before. Thank you.
BrooksPosted on: September 8, 2019
Looks delicious. How many quarts/pints does this make?