It's a great use of eggplant since there are not many recipes that you can use this valuable vegetable in canning. Enjoy.
- 5 cups shredded eggplant
- 2 pc. medium red peppers, diced
- 1 1/2 pc. medium red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 1/2 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
Rinse, drain well and put into a large pot then add mustard, garlic, cumin, vinegar, brown sugar, pepper flakes, 1/2 T. salt, pepper, tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Ladle into sterilized jars filling to 1/2" headspace. I added 1 T. bottled lemon juice to each of the pint jars and 1/2 T to half pint. Remove air bubbles, Wipe rims, add hot lids and rings. Water bath jars for 15 minutes at a full boil.
Makes 3 pints and 1 half pint.