Today is the 10th and I really wanted to have jars with 10-10-10 on the lid!
Pickled Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 quart water
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 pound FIRM (almost under-ripe) cherry tomatoes (round and plum varieties of all colors can be used)
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar or more (to taste)
- 2 sprigs fresh summer savory or tarragon (or fresh herb of your choosing)
- 12 pc. black peppercorns
- In a large bowl, combine the water and salt, and stir to dissolve the salt. Prick the bottom of each tomato once with a clean needle. Place the tomatoes in the salt brine, cover and marinate for 24 hours at room temperature.
- In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar and sugar.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring just to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and cool thorough
- Remove the tomatoes from the salt brine and drain thoroughly. Discard the salt brine.
- Carefully place the tomatoes in a 1-quart canning jar. Arrange the herbs and peppercorns around the edges of the jar.
- Pour the vinegar-sugar mixture over the tomatoes. Secure the jar tightly. Process for 15 minutes in boiling water bath
- 8 cups pears, sliced
- 2 cups crushed pineapple
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 pc. lemon, juiced and rind grated
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Wash, pare, and core ripened pears. Slice and measure.
- Put the pears through a food chopper using a fine blade or a blender.
- Add pears to stainless steel pot. Add remaining ingredients to the pears.
- Cook over slow heat, stirring frequently for 20 minutes, or until desired consistency.
- Pack into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/4" headspace, remove air bubbles, wipe rims, add hot lids/rings.
- Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes once the water has returned to a full rolling boil.
Summer Sizzle Barbecue Sauce
- 2 T. Canola oil
- 2 pc. medium onions, chopped
- 2 pc. large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 pc. large tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 3 T. liquid honey
- 1 T. each Worcestershire sauce and cider vinegar
- 1 t. each dry mustard and green peppercorns
- 1/2 t. each chili powder and salt
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 t. brown sugar
- 1/2 t. hot pepper sauce
- Heat oil in a medium stainless steel saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, wine, honey, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard, peppercorns, chili powder and salt.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered for 30 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and puree in a food processor or blend till smooth.
- Stir in tomato sauce, sugar and pepper sauce, return to saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Fill jars leaving ½ inch headspace. Process in water bath for 20 minutes. Makes about 3 cups.