My sister swaps out cheeses that she has on hand rather than always using Swiss. I decided to put together a couple of my own recipes using the basic ingredients. I did two quiche since I purchased the deep dish crust and they come in packs of two. I’m not that good at crust yet so I cheated! Either way this was a very inexpensive and fun recipe to make.
- 1 cup imitation krab(crab) diced
- 1/2 cup bay shrimp (about 1/4 pound)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 1 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese (I used shredded Colby Jack)
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pc. 9 inch deep dish frozen pie crust (thawed)
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup half and half cream
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- In a medium bowl mix the krab, shrimp, onions, and both cheeses. Place this mix in the bottom of the thawed pie crust.
- Mix the eggs and half and half in a bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese mixture. As you are pouring you may need to move the mix around to get the eggs not to spill over the edge.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350ºF and bake for an additional 35 minutes, until the top of the quiche begins to turn brown.
- Let the quiche set for about 15 minutes once removed from the oven before slicing.
You can do lots of combinations. My other quiche was a sausage mushroom.
Sausage Mushroom Quiche
- 1 cup pre-cooked and drained sausage, crumbled
- 3/4 cup sliced brown mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped red onions
The other “breakfast” quiche that my sister makes is this:
Quiche with Bacon
- 3/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion