Some people want to find a safe way to make a pumpkin butter that we can ‘put up’ for long term storage.
Note: I purchased the pumpkin powder from MySpiceSage for this recipe specifically. The cost of 1oz of the powder is $2.50. If you don’t want to spend the money you could dry your pumpkin and grind it for a possible home made powder.
Faux Pumpkin Butter
- 2 lbs sweet apples (measurement before coring and peeling - I used gala apples)
- 2 1/2 T. pumpkin powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 t. pumpkin pie spice (also purchased from myspicesage.com)
- 1 T. bottled lemon juice
- Peel and core your apples and then process in a blender till smooth. This is a short cut but you could cook the apples down in a crock pot or stainless steel pot.
- Once the apples are mashed and have reached a butter consistency (creamy) add the pumpkin powder, sugar, and pie spice.
- Stir in ingredients and cook for another 30 minutes. Taste the butter. If you think it needs more pumpkin flavor add another teaspoon, but it was really good after the 2 1/2 tablespoons. The flavor in the back of my mouth had that great pumpkin pie richness.
- Add your lemon juice just to preserve the color and ladle into your sterlized jars.
- Remove air bubbles, fill to 1/4" headspace and wipe rims. Add hot lids/rings and process in the water bath for 10 minutes at a full rolling boil.