Ball Blue book has a great recipe for canning carrots and add a bit of sweetness to the jar. They have taken the tartness of orange juice and the sweetness of brown sugar and created a great glaze for the pressure canner to infuse the perfect flavor into carrots. Because this was a test recipe for flavor I used the packaged baby carrots from the store so I could check out the consistency and taste before I recommended them.
- 6 1/2-7 lbs carrots
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup orange juice
- Wash and peel carrots. Wash again. Cut carrots into 3 inch pieces. Slice thicker ends in half lenghtwise.
- Combine brown sugar, water and orange juice in saucepot. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Keep syrup hot.
- Pack carrots tightly into hot jars, leaving 1" headspace. Ladle hot syrup over carrots, leaving 1" headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and wipe rims with clean wet papertowel.
- Add hot lids and rings.
- Process pints and quarts for 30 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure for weighted gauge and 11lbs for dial gauge. Adjust for altitude.
Rebecca A WoosleyPosted on: February 29, 2020
Could a commercial syrup be used vs sugar? I have syrup from school that I need to use.
joyce j fehringerPosted on: February 29, 2020
hi, i would like to know; this recipe calls for orange juice. is that fresh orange juice or store bought carton or frozen you have to add water to?
Mary AndersonPosted on: February 29, 2020
I am 75 and have been canning since I married, some fifty three years ago. I always watched my grandmothers in the kitchen. The wonderful Ball canning products have been used by my family and myself for a very long time. I always enjoy the process of preserving the food; the end result seeing the beautiful filled jars spanning the length of the table. I always admired them several days before putting them up. I did not live on a farm, but we picked berries and bought produce from those nearby. Canning is a very satisfying and peaceful project almost anyone can do,and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys the process of cooking and eating!