Ball Blue book has a great recipe for canning carrots and add a bit of sweetness to the jar. They have taken the tartness of orange juice and the sweetness of brown sugar and created a great glaze for the pressure canner to infuse the perfect flavor into carrots. Because this was a test recipe for flavor I used the packaged baby carrots from the store so I could check out the consistency and taste before I recommended them.
- 6 1/2-7 lbs carrots
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup orange juice
- Wash and peel carrots. Wash again. Cut carrots into 3 inch pieces. Slice thicker ends in half lenghtwise.
- Combine brown sugar, water and orange juice in saucepot. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Keep syrup hot.
- Pack carrots tightly into hot jars, leaving 1" headspace. Ladle hot syrup over carrots, leaving 1" headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and wipe rims with clean wet papertowel.
- Add hot lids and rings.
- Process pints and quarts for 30 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure for weighted gauge and 11lbs for dial gauge. Adjust for altitude.