So I happened by one of my favorite food stands and they had some really ripe Santa Rita Plums, 10lbs for $4.00. Opportunity for me to make something jammy but after peeling and getting out the pulp I decided to try to slow cook the plums and get the juice and use it for a concentrate. After slow cooking the pulp for 45 minutes I didn’t stir or mash the pulp so I wouldn’t get a cloudy juice. Another 15 minutes and I strained the remaining pulp and had about almost a half gallon of juice which I was pretty happy with. The flavor was tart without sugar but a very yummy plummy flavor.
Plum Lemonade Concentrate
- 4 cups plum juice, from plums peeled and slow cooked for the juice
- 2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used bottled lemon juice)
- 4 cups sugar
- Over medium-high heat add plum juice, lemon juice and sugar and stir to combine. Using a thermometer heat to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring occasionally. Because this recipe has sugar it will get to temperature rather quickly so keep your eye on the thermometer. Remove from heat.
Filling and Processing:
- Ladle mixture into jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim, add hot lids and tighten rings just finger tight. Process in water bath canner at a boil for 15 minutes.
- Make sure to label your jars after they have cooled with the name of the recipe and the date canned. If you want to use the shrink labels in the picture you can order them Here!