Chicken is simple to ‘put up” in the pressure canner and sometimes changing up the flavor to complete more of base for a future meal has advantages. As new “pressure canning” canners become avid followers watching my site I look for inspiration that will be safe for canning. An email from Diana was no exception with this incredibly easy recipe to make a sweet and sour liquid for your chicken for pressure canning. I know that it’s not wok fried chicken, but sometimes a healthier version could just be as delicious.
When I received this recipe I thought it might be too sweet but Diana found that with using unsweetened pineapple it helped with the sweetness. The key to this recipe is making sure you do the prep first. Chopping the onions and peppers and mixing them up in a bowl. Cubing the chicken into 1″ pieces. The other difference is that Diana used pint and a half jars. You can use pints or quarts for this recipe. If you use pints you will cut back on the “fill” amounts in each jar from Diana’s description below.
Diana: “To each pint and a half jars I put 1 cup raw cubed chicken, 1/2 cup combo onion & pepper and 1/2 cup chunked pineapple then filled with the hot liquid. I didn’t think it was too sweet. I think this will be good this winter poured over rice. Oh and the pineapple was unsweetened.”
Chicken Sweet and Sour
- 4.5 lbs chicken,boneless, skinless breasts cut in 1" bite sized pieces
- 2 pc. large green peppers chopped
- 1 pc. large red pepper chopped
- 2 pc. medium onions chopped
- 3 20 oz cans pineapple chunks drained, reserve juice (unsweetened)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons ketchup (Heinz because it contains no thickeners)
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- Prepare by sterilizing 7 - Pint and half jars or 5 quarts or 10 pints (23 qt double stack canner) and their lids/rings.
- Heat in a stainless steel pot add the brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, ginger, and 2 1/2 cups of pineapple juice and 1/2 cup of water and bring to a light boil until the sugar is dissolved.
- Layer the chicken, onions, peppers and pineapple in pint and half jars. Pour liquid over the solids in the jar to 1" headspace.
- Pressure can for 90 minutes for pint and a half or quarts and 75 min for pints at 11 lbs pressure(dial gauge) and 10lbs pressure (weighted gauge). Adjust for altitude.
susanPosted on: July 2, 2019
can I use this same method with cubed pork?
CindyPosted on: July 2, 2019
What does the “pc.” stand for?
2 pc. large green peppers chopped
1 pc. large red pepper chopped
2 pc. medium onions chopped
Cathy KeplarPosted on: July 2, 2019
Canned some of the sweet and sour chicken. While we liked the overall taste, we didn’t care for the consistency of the chicken. It was dry and tough. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The chicken stayed in a clump in the jars. I layered it with the vegetables as instructed. I’m new at this and was wondering if I did something wrong or does chicken have a tendency to be dryer and more tough? Wondered if I should have mixed the ingredients together instead of layering? Also wondered about the chicken itself as I have found the larger chicken breasts to sometimes be more tough. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Mrs PPosted on: July 2, 2019
My husband and I made this recipe to add to our canning meals list this weekend. I usually make this two to three times a month on the stove and make freezer meals out of them too. I was so happy to see there was a Canning recipe to try. How disappointed I was to see this come out of the pressure canner and the contents inside the jars were so dark and not what the picture above showed. Normally, That picture would look like what I myself could make. So trying this recipe was right up my alley. However, this was such a waste of food and time. We tried one can and it was so nasty. Will not be making this recipe again.
SuePosted on: July 2, 2019
Great recipe! I added in carrots and celery and added 2 tsp Asian Spice Stir Fry seasoning. I made 7 qts two years ago and we loved it over rice. Quick delicious meal. Now that I have a kitchen again I’m going to can 14 qts for the coming year. Thank you!
SusanPosted on: July 2, 2019
What is the meaning of pc before peppers and onion?
DootPosted on: July 2, 2019
What’s pc mean for the amount of ingredients? Pieces? That doesnt make sense