Chicken Sweet and Sour
The key to this recipe is making sure you do the prep first.
- 4.5 lbs chicken,boneless, skinless breasts cut in 1" bite sized pieces
- 2 pc. large green peppers chopped
- 1 pc. large red pepper chopped
- 2 pc. medium onions chopped
- 3 20 oz cans pineapple chunks drained, reserve juice (unsweetened)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons ketchup (Heinz because it contains no thickeners)
- 1 tsp ginger powder
Prepare by sterilizing 7 - Pint and half jars or 5 quarts or 10 pints (23 qt double stack canner) and their lids/rings.
Heat in a stainless steel pot add the brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, ginger, and 2 1/2 cups of pineapple juice and 1/2 cup of water and bring to a light boil until the sugar is dissolved.
Layer the chicken, onions, peppers and pineapple in pint and half jars. Pour liquid over the solids in the jar to 1" headspace.
Pressure can for 90 minutes for pint and a half or quarts and 75 min for pints at 11 lbs pressure(dial gauge) and 10lbs pressure (weighted gauge). Adjust for altitude.