Karen did a great job putting up the Ball Blue Book recipe for Italian Stewed Tomatoes. I wanted to share this on my site because it is another great way to process your garden tomatoes this season.
Makes about 6 (32 oz) quarts or 12 (16 oz) pints
BBB Stewed Tomatoes
- 12 cups halved cored peeled tomatoes (about 24 medium or 8 lb)
- Spice blend(s), see below
- Ball® Citric Acid or bottled lemon juice
- Salt, optional
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- Combine tomatoes with just enough water to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Add specified quantity of your chosen spice blend, ¼ tsp Ball® Citric Acid or 1 Tbsp bottled lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt, if using, to each hot jar.
- Pack tomatoes into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Ladle hot cooking liquid over tomatoes leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner 40 minutes for pints and quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Italian Spice Blend
- 4 tsp basil
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 - 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 - 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1 - 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes, optional
- ADD 2-1/4 tsp of spice blend to each pint jar. If omitting hot pepper flakes, use only 2 tsp.