When I’m in the mood to do canning in the off season I try to look for recipes that have dried or frozen fruit as one of the ingredients. In the Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving I spotted earlier this winter the Apricot Red Pepper Relish which uses dried apricots and 1/4 cup of Cowboy Candy. I was given a red pepper from the neighbor and making a jar of this relish would be a great gift for them when they come home from vacation!
Apricot Red Pepper Relish
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup drained Cowboy candy, diced
- 1 1/4 cups chopped dried apricot halves
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 pouch liquid fruit pectin
- Combine vinegar, red pepper, and jalapeno peppers in blender or food processor. Process with on/off motion until finely chopped but not pureed. Transfer to large saucepan.
- Add apricots and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pectin.
- Ladle relish into hot jars to 1/2 headspace. Remove air bubbles and refill if necessary.
- Wipe rims with wet papertowel and add hot lids/rings. Process for 10 minutes in water bath canner at a full boil.
- Remove from canner and leave undisturbed on counter overnight. Remove rings and store in pantry.
- Makes 5 cups.