Trying to get all the green tomatoes prepped and put into canning jars before they turn red has pushed me to find some diversity in recipes. I find that since I did the Green Tomato Pie Filling that the tomatoes though they are green will take on the flavors of what ever you pair with them. While browsing the web for inspiration I found the Edible Adventures in Paris. Rose Jackson’s site posted a recipe that used the flavors of ginger and vanilla to come up with a great variation on the green tomato jam.
Since my tomatoes were prepped I put the recipe together and the flavor was great. The ginger and vanilla were unlikely together but worked with the sweetness of the sugar to mellow the tartness of the tomatoes.
Green Tomatoes with Ginger and Vanilla
- 4 cups diced green tomatoes
- 1/2 pc. vanilla bean, sliced down the middle
- 2" piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 T. bottled lemon juice
- 2 T. Ball Flex batch low sugar/no sugar pectin
- In a stainless steel or enameled dutch oven combine all the ingredients except for the pectin. Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes stirring often. Once the tomatoes begin to get translucent bring the recipe to a boil.
- Add pectin and return recipe to a boil for one minute. Do not stir. Turn off the heat and fill canning 4 - half pint jars.
- Ladle into jars filling to 1/4" headspace. Remove air bubbles and refill if necessary.
- Wipe Rim and add hot lids/rings and process in water bath for 10 minutes at a full rolling boil.