Paula posted a fantastic picture of her recently made Peach Lavender Jam from The Small Batch Canning Book and I knew that I had to have it in the canning recipes.
One of the tricky things about making a jam like this is the liquid pectin. Because liquid pectin needs to have sugar and acid to gel you have to use all 6 cups to get a solid consistency. Also remember that it may take up to 48 hours to set properly and sometimes longer. Enjoy!
Peach Lavender Jam
- 2 tbsp dried lavender flowers
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 4 cups finely chopped peaches (about 5-6 medium peaches)
- 2 tbsp bottled lemon juice
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- 1 pouch liquid fruit pectin
- Place lavender flowers in a small bowl. Pour boiling water over flowers and steep for 20 minutes. Strain and discard flowers.
- Combine lavender liquid, peaches, lemon juice and sugar in a very large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a full boil over high heat and boil hard for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in pectin.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars filling to 1/4" headspace. Wipe rims, add hot lids/rings and process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath. Makes 6 cups.
GabriellaPosted on: April 26, 2020
I want to make this recipe but your ingredients say 1 pouch liquid fruit pectin. How much does the recipe exactly need since the pouches come in different amounts?
MollyPosted on: April 26, 2020
Hello I had a question about your cooking time. Why does it say 2 hours?