It is generally served with yogurt raitas and pickles; although, this dish may be served as a side dish to almost any meal. It is colorful and delicious.
Cauliflower provides us with an excellent source of Vitamin C, folate and potassium. It is low in calories and high in fiber.
Potatoes are from the nightshade family yet provide us with Vitamin C, B6 and potassium and other minerals. Potatoes used to be an inexpensive food, are very filling and compliments many other foods. Potatoes can be created into a multitude of different ways.
Let us get on with this one…….
Cauliflower & potato curry
- 6 elephant garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger peeled, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup Spanish Onion chopped
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 3 fresh red Thai chilies (in Asian Section Grocery Store)
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large boiling potatoes prepared by boiling, cooling peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- 5 cups cauliflower florets cut into 1 ½” pieces
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated ripe tomato
- 3 whole small hot green chilies-put small slits in them
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Put garlic, ginger and onion into blender and add 1/3 cup water. Pulse until in puree form. This is the part I love-when the aroma hits my nose…. Set puree aside.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat; when hot, add potatoes and cauliflower to saute, stirring occasionally until veggies are light brown. Take out veggies with a slotted spoon and set aside. Take out all oil, except 3 tbsp from the skillet; then return to heat.
- Add cumin seeds. Quickly add spices: coriander, ground cumin, turmeric, and cayenne. Stir for 3-4 minutes. Then add tomatoes, cooking for another 2-3 minutes, until the aroma fills the air!
- Add cauliflower flowerettes and cubed potatoes, 2 ½ cups warm water and the slitted hot chilies. Stir well and let the curry simmer while covered over low heat for 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Heavenly! Here at SBcanning, we promote the use of spices, as many spices, included freshly ground pepper are known to assist the digestive system health, and fend off minor infections.
- So enjoy this scrumptious side dish which will blend with a variety of fishes, meats or eat it as a vegetarian dish. Serve with Jasmine Rice, Basmati Rice along with a meat dish if you prefer.
- Serves 4- 6. Thumbs up from all of us at SBcanning!