We at SBcanning, prefer to make our own sauces when possible as often, these can be made ahead of time, and you can keep them in the freezer or refrigerator. Herbs & spices, preferably grown and prepared at home is the best. I think making these recipes of sauces and mixes gives us a great satisfaction just in knowing we made these!
Spagetti sauce (herbal) mix
- 1/2 cup onion flakes
- 1/2 cup parsley flakes
- 2 tbsp dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large bay leaves, crumbled finely
- I place all the ingredients in a 1-pint jar, cover tightly, then shake well to mix. Keep stored in a cool dark place for up to 2 months.
- Healthy Herb Recipe makes 1 1/2 cups dry mix.
- 2 cans-28 ounce low-sodium drained and chopped tomatoes
- 1 can-6-ounces low-sodium tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1. cup Spaghetti Sauce Dry Mix
- Using a medium-size heavy saucepan, over medium heat, mix together 2 cans-28 ounces each of low sodium tomatoes drained and chopped and 1 can of low-sodium tomato paste.
- Mix well then add 1 cup water and the Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning, and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- For those of you that wish to use meat, saute lean hamburger (about 1 lb.) in extra virgin olive oil (1 tbsp), cook thoroughly and drain fat off, prior to adding to the remaining mixture of Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning.
- Create a nice spaghetti al dente for 4 and dinner is done.
- Healthy Recipe serves 4.