SBcanning says this recipe is just the “best” for company with kids or adults and is so easy when you purchase the tortilla salad shells; they really dress up the recipe. Try to purchase low salt salad shells.
Vegetarian rice-bean taco salad
- 8 tortilla salad shells (low salt – whole wheat)
- 3/4 cup low cal Ranch dressing (unless you have another favorite)
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dill freshly cut
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 can drained and rinsed red kidney beans
- 1 head Romaine lettuce torn into bite size pieces
- 1 cup light shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup sliced black olives
- 2 medium hot house tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1 medium Spanish onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Light sour cream
- Set aside Tortilla salad shells, and dressing.
- Stir in water, freshly cut dill, sea salt, minced garlic, diced green pepper and beans and wild rice.
- Heat mixture to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Mix lettuce pieces, grated Cheddar light cheese, diced tomatoes and chopped onions in a large bowl and toss with your favorite low cal dressing (mine is Ranch) or make your own.
- Add cooled rice and beans mixture and toss lightly with other ingredients.
- Add evenly to eight salad taco shells and garnish with light sour cream. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- SBcanning is proud to serve this nutritious meal. Yummy! Enjoy your meal.
- Healthy Recipe serves 8 people.