Couscous, mushrooms and chick peas make a delicious nutritious main meal.
Moroccan-style spicy couscous
SBcanning has found a nutritious, low-fat, meatless dish for dinner to spice up any cold day.
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (use alternate vegetable broth)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger root
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 12 fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 (19 0z) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- In a large saucepan, mix broth, cumin, coriander, hot chili pepper flakes, ginger root and garlic; bring mixture to a boil. Add mushrooms, carrots and onion and cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the couscous in a medium bowl and pour 1 cup boiling water over it; cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add red peppers, chick peas and raisins to mushroom mix; cook 2 to 3 minutes until hot. Taste and add 1/4 tsp sea salt and pepper, if necessary. Stir in parsley.
- Fluff couscous into individual serving dishes. Place vegetable mixture around the couscous and top with broth evenly distributed.
- Garnish with pine nuts.
- This is a terrific dish to serve on a day when you just don’t know what to make; it is so tasty, easy to make, low in calories and fat, and it is meatless. What more could we ask?
- SBcanning’s scrumptious meal serves 4.
Leave a Reply