Moroccan-style spicy couscous
SBcanning has found a nutritious, low-fat, meatless dish for dinner to spice up any cold day.
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (use alternate vegetable broth)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger root
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 12 fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 (19 0z) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
In a large saucepan, mix broth, cumin, coriander, hot chili pepper flakes, ginger root and garlic; bring mixture to a boil. Add mushrooms, carrots and onion and cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the couscous in a medium bowl and pour 1 cup boiling water over it; cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
Add red peppers, chick peas and raisins to mushroom mix; cook 2 to 3 minutes until hot. Taste and add 1/4 tsp sea salt and pepper, if necessary. Stir in parsley.
Fluff couscous into individual serving dishes. Place vegetable mixture around the couscous and top with broth evenly distributed.
Garnish with pine nuts.
This is a terrific dish to serve on a day when you just don’t know what to make; it is so tasty, easy to make, low in calories and fat, and it is meatless. What more could we ask?
SBcanning’s scrumptious meal serves 4.