My Dad always made his special chili with cut pieces of roast beef. Some prefer lean hamburger; others prefer a vegan chili. In my opinion, they all taste marvelous!
Cowboy rodeo chili
- 3 cups red kidney beans
- 5 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 elephant cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil
- 3 Spanish Onions chopped
- 3 lb beef steak or roast, trimmed and cut into 1/2 – 1 inch cubes
- 4 canned chipotle peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Mexican oregano (can substitute with other oregano)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 bay leaves (My Dad cooked almost everything with bay leaves for that extra punch in soups, stews, chilies)
- Using small bowl, mix together chili powder, ground coriander, paprika, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, freshly ground pepper and 1/3 cup of water until in a paste forms. Then add minced garlic to the mixture and stir well.
- In a large Dutch Oven, heat grape seed oil over medium high heat, adding Spanish onions, stirring until golden brown.
- Add coriander paste and fry, stirring constantly until the oil starts to separate.
- Stir in chipotle peppers, tomatoes, oregano, sea salt, bay leaves, and finally, the seared beef, and any reserved cooking liquid from the beans, as well as the beans. I use canned beans (time-saver).
- Reduce the heat to simmer for 60 – 90 minutes, until the beef is cooked tender.
- Remember to remove the bay leaves prior to serving.
- This Healthy Recipe makes up to 20 servings.
- Healthy Recipe may be served with a pilaf rice, herbed rice or long grain rice. I prefer to serve with crusty buns and a Caesar Salad! (salad and rice pilaf are on this site under Salads and Rice Pilaf.
- This is another winning Healthy Recipe!