This salsa recipe made with whole wheat pita bread is one of my very favorites, as it only takes minutes to prepare and serve 12 people.
Salsa with pita chips
- 4 medium tomatoes (use Roma if you can) peeled and seeded The secret to peeling tomatoes is the blanch them in hot water and then cold for about a minute in each, and the peel comes off so easily. Chop tomatoes into small cubes.
- 2 tbsp chopped Spanish onion
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced cilantro
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package (12 ounces) whole wheat pita bread
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, add together chopped tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. Mix lightly, all liquid ingredients, into the large bowl with chopped ingredients.
- Chill in refrigerator while preparing the pita bread.
- Cut each pizza bread round with a pizza cutter, first in half; then cut each half into triangles.
- Arrange pita bread triangles on baking sheet and bake approximately 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Place salsa into a fancy dip bowl, and arrange the triangles around the dip in a pleasant arrangement.
- How easy can this be? Serve this dandy appetizer with a nice cold brew as above, in Mikasa beer glasses - now that's class!