Spaghetti Sauce Canning Recipe
- 30 pounds tomatoes (regular or heirloom are best)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 pcs cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped green pepper, or celery
- 1 pound fresh sliced mushrooms
- 4.5 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 4 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Wash tomatoes and dip in boiling water for up to aminute, until skins split. Dip in cold water and slip off skins
- Remove cores, and cut tomatoes into quarters. Boil tomatoes 20minutes in a large uncovered saucepan. Process tomato mixture through a foodmill or sieve to remove seeds.
- Saute onions, garlic, celery or pepper, and mushrooms in oliveoil until tender. Combine sauteed vegetables and tomatoes and add remainingspices, salt and suagr. bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until thick enoughfor serving over pasta. Stir frequently during this time to prevent burning.
- Fill jars, leaving a one-inch head-space on each. clean rims,put on lids and process in a weighted -gauge pressure canner as follows:At 0- 1,000 feet elevation, process pints for 20 minutes or quartsfor 25 minutes at 10 lbpressure. Above 1,000 feet, increase pressure to 15 pounds (time remainsthe same).