Last year this time I was in Las Vegas doing my yearly canning of my sister’s fruit trees. We made quite a few recipes that I have not posted yet to the site. The tartness of the lime and back flavor of the black pepper is the perfect combination for a spoonful on a cracker or bagel but great slathered on a pork loin before putting it on a barbeque. Enjoy!
Apricot Lime Black Pepper Jam
- 4 cups fresh apricots
- 3 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 t. zest from 4 small limes
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 t. coarse ground black or Tellicherry pepper
- 3 T. Ball low sugar/no sugar pectin
- Prepare 4 half pint jars inhot water. Using a knife chop apricots. Zest your limes and then squeeze thejuice and reserve.
- In a stainless steel pot combine apricots, lime juice,lime zest and sugar. Cook on medium till apricots starts to break down alittle, about 10 to 15 minutes at a simmer.
- Add the black pepper and turn upthe heat till the mixture begins to bubble.
- Add the pectin stirring it in thenboil the jam stirring constantly for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Ladle jam into hot, sterilized half pintcanning jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Remove air bubbles and refillif necessary.
- Wipe rims, and add hot lids and rings. Place the jars in thewater bath making sure that the water covers each of the jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add hot water to the canner if it doesn't measure up.
- Cover the pot and turn upthe heat under the canner and wait for the water to start boiling. Once thewater has come to a boil start your timer for 10 minutes.
- When complete turnoff the heat and remove the cover and let the jars sit for another few minutes.
- Remove the jars and place them back on the dishtowel in a place that they willsit overnight to cool. Do not touch or move them till the next morning.
- Sometime inthe next hour your jars will be making a "pinging" or"popping" noise. That is the glass cooling and the reaction of thelids being sucked into the jar for proper sealing. Some recipes may take overnightto seal. Check your lids and reprocess any jars that did not seal.