Not a super fan of okra not because I have tasted it but because everyone says that it’s slimy. So I am taking a leap of faith from this pickle that Denise posted and will be making them this week. I think they look fantastic and since I love pickled everything I need to add them to my pantry…even if I give them away in the end.
The recipe is from the Ball Blue book and again is super easy for the beginner. Enjoy!
- 3 1/2 pounds small okra pods
- 1/3 cup Ball salt
- 2 teaspoons dill seed
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 pc. small hot red peppers, cut in half
- Trim stems of okra, being careful not to cut pods; set aside. Combine salt, dill seed, water and vinegar in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil.
- Pack okra into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Put 1 clove garlic and one-half pepper in each jar.
- Ladle hot liquid over okra, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims with clean wet papertowel.
- Add hot lids and rings. Process for 15-minutes in a water bath canner once the water has returned to a boil.
- Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.
- about 4 pints