For a quick post Audrey was looking for a Sweet Chili Sauce recipe and I happened on one in The Pickled Pantry Canning book that I just purchase. The flavor is a sweet from the sugar and tomatoes with a sour taste coming from the vinegar and bells. It will be a great addition to your pantry in place of a different condiment for substituting ketchup and hot sauce!
Sweet Chili Sauce
- 16 cups small tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 3/4 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper of any color
- 2 1/4 t. pickling or kosher salt
- 1 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 t. ground ginger
- 1 t. mustard seed
- Combine the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, onions, celery, bell peppers, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and mustard seeds in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Decrease the heat and simmer for 2 hours, until the sauce cooks down and thickens. Stir frequently to prevent scorching.
- Pack the mixture into clean hot 1 pint canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove any air bubbles, wipe rims and add hot lids/rings.
- Process in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes.
- Makes 4 to 6 pints