It feels like its been forever that I’ve canned. I was supposed to get something done on Monday night but I needed to work late. So now after a long wait I am back in the “hot spot” cooking up a yummy brew. On the SB Canning Group tab for March I listed a great recipe that I wanted to try with the group. Since we didn’t get to it I decided to make it myself.
Tomato and Roasted Pepper Chutney
- 1 pc. Orange Bell Pepper
- 1 pc. Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 pc. Red Bell Pepper
- 3 pc. ripe tomatoes, blanched in water and peeled
- 2 pc. onions coarsely chopped
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- To peel tomatoes, mark and "X" at either end of the tomato and blanch in boiling hot water for 45-60 seconds. Immediately transfer to ice water and the peels will easily slip off.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees; Place the peppers on a baking sheet and cook for about 25-30 minutes until they begin to char slightly. Remove from oven, place in plastic bag and leave to cool.
- Remove the pepper stems, skins and seeds, then coarsely chop both the tomatoes, peppers, onions. Add all to the food processor and pulse briefly, not till mushy.
- Transfer to dutch oven or stainless steel saucepan with the sugar and vinegar. Cook over low heat stirring continuously until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 1 hour stirring until it gets thick and turns sticky.
- Sterilize 6 half pint jars. Ladle mixture into jars, remove air bubbles, refill if needed to 1/2" headspace, clean rims, add hot lids and rings. Process in water bath for 15 minutes at a full boil.
- This recipe is great with meats and chicken and is amazingly good on a bagel with cream cheese for a more savory breakfast. You could also pour over cream cheese block and serve with crackers for a great appetizer.