Now that we have pickling cucumbers coming each week I am working on perfecting my Bread & Butter and Dill Pickles. First the Bread & Butter… Using the fresh picklers from my vine in the back yard here is the recipe that I found that will be a great addition to the canning pantry.
Bread and Butter Pickles
This recipe is taken from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving...
- 10 cups sliced pickling cucumbers
- 3 pc. onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Kosher salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- Note: Do not use the ends of the cucumbers. The enzyme in the blossom end will make the pickles mushy.
- Combine cucumbers, onions, and salt in a large bowl. Mix well and set aside for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Rinse the cucumbers several times then drain thoroughly. Combine vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed and mustard seed in a large pot. Place pot on medium low heat. Add the cucumber mixture and bring almost to a boil, but DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL. Remove from heat.
- Using a slotted spoon ladle cucumber and onion first to the jars and then fill with liquid to 1/2" headspace. Remove air bubbles, refill to headspace if necessary. Clean rims, add hot lids and rings. Process 15 minutes in a hot water bath at a full boil.
Leave a Reply