Bacon Broccoli Bites [microwave + deep-frying]
- 4 tablespoons [60 mL] water
- 8 ounces [227 g] broccoli flowerets
- 4 ounces [113 g] bacon, really finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dry breadcrumbs, to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons [10 g] grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Pinch Cayenne pepper
- 1 Pinch Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 oil for deep-frying
- 3 tsbp All-purpose flour
- 3 ounces [85 g] bran flakes, crumbled
- Pour water into a microwave-safe dish; add broccoli flowerets.
- Microwave, covered for 7 to 8 minutes on 'MAXIMUM', stirring at half-time.
- Drain and pat dry broccoli flowerets using paper toweling, then chop broccoli flowerets.
- Sprinkle finely chopped bacon onto a plate, already lined with 2 paper towels.
- Cover with paper toweling and microwave for 3 to 4 minutes on 'MAXIMUM'; set aside for 5 minutes.
- Into a clean bowl, mix together coating ingredients [flour and bran flake crumbs]; set aside.
- Into another bowl, mix together breadcrumbs and egg yolk; mix in grated Parmesan cheese, Cayenne pepper, chopped broccoli flowerets, bacon crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Evenly spread mixture onto a large plate; thightly cover and refrigerate mixture for 1 to 2 hours.
- Divide mixture into 16 equal parts; shape into small balls. Dip balls into beaten egg, then roll balls into breadcrumbs mixture until well coated.
- Arrange balls onto waxed paper; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Into a deep-fryer, preheat some oil to 350°F [180°C].
- Transfer broccoli balls into deep-fryer's wire basket and slowly lower filled basket into hot oil. Deep-fry broccoli balls for 3 to 3 1/2 minutes, until golden brown and crisp on the outside.
- Drain onto paper toweling, and serve.
- Comments: Waiting time: 5 minutes
- Deep-frying time: 3 to 3 1/2 minutes
- Serve hot, along with colorful raw vegetable bites, chutney or a sauce of your choice.
- On a buffet table, serve these bites along with all kinds of dips and relish.