Over the years, I cultivated my favorite chili con carne recipe, and it remains my favorite. I shall share it with SBcanning.
My secret is the use of very lean beef, minced, 2 tbsp brown sugar, basil and oregano, and I prefer to use crushed tomatoes (one large can) and 2 tbsp. of tomato paste rather than 2 cans of tomato paste which I see in so many recipes. Also, I like to let my chili simmer until it thickens on its own. So enjoy this recipe.
Chili con carne
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb extra-lean beef, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-siz Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup canned mushrooms without juice (or fresh sliced)
- 2 tbsp chili pepper
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2-14 oz cans red kidney beans (rinsed)
- Heat olive oil in large heavy-based pan.
- Add the garlic, onions, and green pepper; cook over medium heat until golden browned.
- Add very lean minced beef, cooking on medium-high heat, well browned. Add chili powder, cayenne and oregano and basil. Stir well and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Mix crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, 1/2 cup water and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add, beans, sugar, and flavor with seas salt and pepper to taste. I let the chili simmer on lowest setting for a couple of hours and the flavour is out of this world.
- Now, just before serving, I like to grate some light cheddar cheese on top and let it melt a bit into the chili.
- This Healthy Chili Con Carne Recipe is now ready to serve.
- Chili tastes excellent with Caesar Salad and Buttermilk Biscuits, or Baking Powder Biscuits; both recipes on this site!
- Healthy Recipe serves 6 people heartily. Yummy!
Leave a Reply