SBcanning found this intimate Asian recipe in The Province February 08, 2008 issue and felt it worth adding to our recipe collection (recipe by Eric Akis). Such a flavorful, colourful and nutritious dish-just add steamed basmati rice and voila-dinner is ready. See my Basmati Recipe under Category Beans, Lentils, Grains, and at the bottom of that category is listed Rice.
Steamed prawns and asian greens
- 2-3 baby bok choy, trimmed and separated into single-stock pieces
- 4-6 stalks of gai lan, stems trimmed, and each cut into three pieces. (gai lan found in specialty section of grocery store or in Oriental/Asian store)
- 12 large prawns, peeled, with tail portion left intact.
- 6-8 fresh shitake mushrooms, stems removed and discarded, caps quartered
- 1/2 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup Asian style chili sauce (see in Asian/Oriental Section is groceries)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Arrange bok choy and gai lan on bottom of 11-inch round steamer and set steamer in wok, skillet or pot (even a double boiler should work unless you have a veggie steamer.
- Place sweet chili sauce and lime juice into a small skillet; set over medium-low heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, place lid on the steamer and set steamer in wok, skillet or pot filled with water level just below steamer or double boiler.
- Steam for three to four minutes, just until the prawns and vegetables are just cooked through. Divide the prawns and vegetables on two heated plates.
- Drizzle with the sweet chili sauce mixture, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
- Note: To toast sesame seeds, place in small skillet and set over medium heat, until the seeds are lightly toasted (3-4 minutes).
- Healthy Recipe takes only 20 minutes to prepare and 3-4 minutes cooking time, is low in calories and the greens are full of vitamins and prawns full of protein. (Note: Prawns are high in cholesterol but not fat).
- Serve with Healthy Basmati Rice recipe and you have full excellent tasty meal. See Basmati recipe under Categories, Beans, Lentils, Grains, then Rice on this site.
- Healthy Recipe serves 2 people. Enjoy!