There are some recipes that we just have to put into the SBcanning Collection. Welsh Rarebit is one of these.
I have yet to see a recipe for Welsh Rarebit, in a Recipe book, yet it is so tasty, that I feel we must offer it to you.
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 lb light Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup skim milk or 1% milk
- 1 egg well beaten
- 1 Sliced tomatoes and very crispy bacon (optional)
- Using a double boiler, melt 1 tbsp butter.
- Add shredded light Cheddar cheese, dry mustard and pepper.
- Stir in 1/2 cup milk; continue stirring until the cheese is well blended.
- Stir constantly, and as the cheese melts, stir in 1/2 cup 1% milk.
- Slowly add beaten egg, stirring briskly until it has blended into hot cheese sauce.
- Place toast in toaster.
- Pour cheese sauce on toast immediately; garnish with crispy bacon and tomato slices.
- Healthy Recipe serves 4 people.