It does have ground beef in it, but for vegetarians, remove the beef and add another variety of beans or orzo grain pasta to replace the beef. I have tried it both ways and like the orzo grain recipe just as much if not more than the beef recipe.
Black bean chili
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 8 oz very lean ground beef (for Vegetarian, use kidney beans, 1-14 0z can and/or make Orzo (grain pasta) and add it to recipe with beans
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cans 14 1/2 oz diced tomatoes with green chilies in them
- 1 cup water
- In a large skillet (do not use Teflon), add 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil and chopped onion. Simmer until beef is browned and onions are transparent.(15 minutes).
- Stir in chili powder and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cans black beans (or kidney beans and/or prepared Orzo), 1 can tomatoes with green chilies, and 1 cup water.
- Heat to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 25 minutes. This allows the mixture to thicken on it’s own.
- Stir occasionally.
- Awesome healthy recipe makes 5 cups (vegetarian dish may contain more). I find it so satisfying when a recipe can be used either way, because many people have stopped eating red meat. So go for it. You will love the taste of this healthy recipe.
- Healthy Recipe makes 5-6 cups of Black Bean Chili.