At SBcanning, we try to use recipes that are easy to make, and fast to cook – such as red lentils – sometimes called the “faster bean” because they cook just like rice. Keep some dried lentils in your pantry for a quick meal. Red lentils can be used in place of rice, Bulgar, beans, meats as they are high in protein, filling and make beautiful soups and stews and may even be added to casseroles or salads.
Red lentil soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 small sweet red pepper(s), chopped
- 29 oz canned chicken broth
- 8 oz dry lentils, red, washed
- 2 medium carrot(s), chopped
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon yogurt per serving of soup
- In a medium Stockpot, heat to a boil; add cumin, coriander, red pepper and cinnamon. Stir until you notice the aroma of the herbs and spices (about one minute). Add bell pepper and carrots. Cook until just tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and red lentils. You may wish to add a dash of sea salt, if you feel it is necessary.
- Bring to a boil. Simmer until lentils are tender; about 20 minutes.
- Add mixture to your Kitchen Cuisinart Blender; puree until smooth.
- Serve with dollop of yogurt, in your best soup bowls – Mikasa.
- This soup can be used as a main meal, but serve with pita bread, or whole wheat buns.
- Serves 4 – and SBcanning gives a thumbs up!