Butter Pastry ingredients:
Butter pastry shell
- 1 1/2 cups Nutri-flour
- 3 ounces cold butter
- 1 egg yolk
- Sift flour into medium-size bowl.
- Add butter into flour creating small fine balls using a pastry blender.
- Add egg mixture and mix until the flour and egg sticks together. Add a little water if necessary the mixture turns into a ball.
- Place in refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and place on floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll pastry out until it is big enough to accommodate your pie dish or quiche pan (including the sides).
- Next is a secret cook’s trick: place wax paper on pastry and fill pastry shell with enough dried beans (you can use dried rice as well) for 10 - 15 minutes until pastry is light golden brown. I could have used this trick many, many years ago quite nicely.
- Remove pan from oven, and remove beans and wax paper. Set aside to cool.
- SBcanning recommends the butter pastry for any pie that you do not need to top, such as pumpkin pie, or quiche.