SBcanning recommends the egg mixture which contains protein, vegetables and light cheese, and provides plenty of vitamins be used as a lunch, brunch, breakfast or dinner recipe, as it contains all the necessary requirements for a full meal content. This is providing you use a Nutri-blend flour or whole wheat flour.
The great thing about quiche is that it can be made with or without the pastry. Pastry contains either vegetable shortening , butter or lard. I choose butter, bearing in mind that I would count this fat content for my daily allowance.
Healthy herb quiche
This is my favorite Herb Quiche, with pastry recipe included as well:
- 1 Butter Pastry
- 1 1/2 cups Nutri-flour
- 3 ounces cold butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup light cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone
- 1 Freshly ground pepper
- Sift flour into medium-size bowl.
- Add butter into flour creating small fine balls using a pastry blender.
- Add egg mixture and mix until the flour and egg sticks together. Add a little water if necessary the mixture turns into a ball.
- Place in refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and place on floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll pastry out until it is big enough to fill your quiche pan (including the sides).
- Next is a secret cook’s trick: place wax paper on pastry shell and fill pastry shell with enough dried beans (you can use dried rice as well) for 10 - 15 minutes until pastry is light golden brown.
- Remove quiche pan from oven, and remove beans and wax paper. Set aside to cool while you make quiche mixture.
- Red pepper cut in rings (4 -6 rings) to garnish
- Whisk together 3 eggs.
- Add 1/2 cup 1% milk and 1/2 cup softened cream cheese and mix until smooth.
- Add egg mixture to milk and cream cheese blending until smooth.
- Pour mixture into quiche pastry shell and garnish with red pepper rings.
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes, or until the center springs back lightly.
- SBcanning favors this Quiche with or without the pastry. It takes a little time to make, but with the provolone, fresh herbs and red pepper - his healthy quiche has excellent flavor.
Leave a Reply