I love to use just a few drops of honey on my favorite buttermilk biscuit healthy recipe. These fluffy biscuits are only about 80 calories (without the honey) and by using low-fat buttermilk and low-fat, plain yogurt, we have added calcium, very little fat, and approximately 1 mg of cholesterol.
The big secret about these normally fluffy biscuits is: Do not over mix the batter!!
I recommend these healthy buttermilk biscuits for any meal, for a snack or to have for tea, or even for brunch.
- 1 Olive oil
- 1 cup all purpose or Nutriblend flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- ¼ cup non-fat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 Flour for the surface to cut out biscuits
- Pre-heat oven to 425F degrees. Wipepan with olive oil.Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and sea salt in a medium size bowl.Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it becomes crumbles.
- Stir in yogurt and buttermilk into flour mixture with a fork until just moistened.
- Place dough onto a lightly floured cutting board. Sprinkle with a small amount of flour and shape dough into a disk.
- With a rolling pin, pat out the dough until it is about ½ inch thick.
- Cut out biscuits with a 2 ½ inch round cookie cutter.
- Use prepared 8-inch round baking
- Place buttermilk biscuits in prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until biscuits are cooked in the middle and golden brown on bottoms.
- Remove biscuits from pan and place in a tea towel in a serving basket to keep them warm with your favorite soup or stew.
Leave a Reply