Surround this mildly spicy dish with a selection of topping; mango chutney, toasted slivered almonds, fresh cilantro leaves, even yogurt with chopped cucumber and mint, for example.
This incredible meal is most satisfying as the curry tantalizes the taste buds.
Chicken and apple curry thick soup
- 2 large chicken breasts skinned and floured in a plastic bag with freshly ground sea salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 8-ounce tin water chestnuts
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger root
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 Spanish onions chopped
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp 1 10-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 3 apples cored and chopped
- 3 potatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander or parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup raisins
- In large skillet, on medium high, with olive oil in it, lay chicken flour coated chicken breasts and cook until golden brown on outside (5 minutes on each side). Set aside.
- In crock pot, already on medium high heat, add oil, onions, curry powder, cinnamon and cumin.
- Cook until onions are transparent. Add tomatoes and coconut milk, stirring to get the spices on the sides of the crock pot. Bring to a boil.
- After cutting chicken in 1″ cubes, put in crock pot with other ingredients. Add water chestnuts, apples, ginger root , brown sugar, chopped fresh coriander or parsley.
- Simmer for several hours for the flavors to thoroughly pierce the chicken. The beautiful aroma will carry throughout your home.
- Serve with pita bread heated and arranged nicely on a plate.
Please note: If you are allergic to coconut, you can replace the coconut milk with Sharwood’s Butter Chicken Sauce or Balti Sauce.