Each apple is filled with nutritious dried fruits and wine and apple juice to create the dessert of a lifetime.
Growing up on an apple orchard, this recipe was a constant in our healthy eating; therefore, it was a must to offer this Healthy Recipe to your collection.
Baked apples a’ la fruit
- 1/4 cup port
- 1/4 cup apple juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries, cranberries, or sour cherries
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 baking apples i.e. Jonathan, Mackintosh or Gala
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Bring wine and juice concentrate to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Add cranberries and cinnamon; stir and cover - let sit for 15 minutes.
- Core apples, being careful not to cut through the bottom. Using a paring knife score around the apple approximately 1/2 inch from bottom. Peel from top down to scored line to stop from splitting while cooking.
- Set apples in glass baking dish so they do not touch each other.
- Fill center of juice soaked cranberries using remainder of juice to spread over apples.
- Pour enough water to 1/3 inch in baking dish. Cover dish with foil.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake a further 20 minutes.
- Voila - baked apple dessert is completed - serve warm in fancy dessert dish.
- Recipe serves 4.