There is nothing nicer than a simple Apple Betty, made with crispy tart cooking apples, any time of the year. Watch this. Oatmeal saves the day.
- 4 cups crispy tart cooking apples pared, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or Splenda Brown Sugar)
- 2 tbsp Watkin’s Cinnamon (my favorite)
- 2 1/2 cups cooking oatmeal
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 lemon grated rind
- Cook apples in a saucepan or skillet, with 1 tbsp of butter, 1 tbsp nutmeg, and 1 tbsp cinnamon for 15 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter in a pan over low heat, mixing in remainder of sugar, and the oatmeal. Toss the oatmeal until it is coated with brown sugar and butter, and keep frying until golden brown.
- Using a 9″ x 12″ baking dish, which has been sprayed with vegetable oil, pour apple mixture in to pan spreading evenly. Add the oatmeal mixture evenly to top apples.
- Sprinkle apple crisp with 1 tbsp cinnamon and bake at 375F degrees for 30 minutes. Yummy!
- Remember to watch your portions as one serving will be about 300 calories.