SBcanning offers this ‘easy to make’ recipe which uses whole wheat, the best choice for us. It is so versatile in that it is easy to make and suitable as a side dish or can be served with tea. It needs to be eaten as soon as it comes out of the oven and cools for 5 minutes.
Whole wheat cake
- 1/2 Sun Maid Raisins
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening or olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350F degrees.
- Soak raisins in 1/2 cup orange juice for 5 minutes.
- Mix flour, baking powder, Cream of Tartar, pinch of sea salt together in a medium sized bowl.
- Add slightly beaten egg with orange juice and raisins. Blend until just moist.
- Turn mixture onto a floured surface and make into a round dough.
- Place in a round cake tin (8 inch) and score the top.
- Bake in hot oven 350F for 15 to 20 minutes, when cake bounces back after being lightly touched.
- Cut and serve this healthy recipe as soon as it cools a little.
- Healthy Recipe of Whole Wheat cake serves 6.