Cherry and nut cake
- 2 1/8 cups of flour
- 1 1/3 cups of brown sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 16 cherries cut tiny
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups unbeaten egg whites (4 lrge.)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Add butter, cherry juice, cherries and milk. Then add egg whites, mix well, and fold in chopped nuts.
- This makes 2 round layers in 8" cake pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- A little marischino cherry juice to right consistancy. If you don't have sufficient cherry juice left to make desired consitency, add a bit of milk as needed.
- Frost cake when cooled.
- I always use Spelt flour when I bake, and even in preparations such as white sauce. It is a whole grain flour that you can purchase in some supermarkets, as well as in Whole Foods, and health food stores. It has a nutty flavor that lends itself well to sweet desserts.
- You can also use granulated sugar in the cake. I just feel the brown sugar is healthier, and use it wherever possible for substition.