One of my aunt’s was given this recipe by her boss’s wife in the late 50’s or early 60’s. It’s been a family favorite every since.
Queen Elizabeth Cake
This is another simple to prepare, yet incredibly delicious cake.
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Pour the boiling water over the choped dates and add the soda.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together and pour them into a 9 x 9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- If you're serving this to a larger crowd, double the recipe for the cake, and the frosting, and add 10 to 15 to cake's baking time.
- 5 tblspns. brown sugar
- 5 tblspns. heavy cream
- 5 tblspns. butter
- Boil for 3 minutes, and frost cake when cake and frosting have cooled a bit.
- Poke holes in the cake with a fork before pouring on the frosting to enable some of the frosting to sink into the cake.
- You can serve with vanilla ice cream if you desire, but this is one of those cakes that stands deliciously proud all on its own.
Leave a Reply