Here is a twist on the regular Apple Pie filling. Thank you Meghan for the inspiration for doing this recipe.
Clear Jel is not Sure-Jel which is a pectin, but a modified corn starch that can be heated and cooled over and over without breaking down like regular cornstarch. Clear Jel can be used for many other recipes and if you are looking for more ideas here is a link.
Ingredion brand is gluten free and is available at the SB Canning store!
This recipe is for 1 quart! 6-7 quart is listed below!
Candy Apple Pie Filling
- 3 1/2 cups apples (I used 1 1/2 lbs. gala and granny smith)
- 1 1/4 cup spiced apple cider
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red hot cinnamon candies
- 1/4 cup Clear Jel
- 2 T. bottled lemon juice
- For fresh apples, place all into 1 gallon of boiling water and boil one minute when it comes back to a boil. Drain but keep fruit covered in a bowl.
- In a stockpot, mix the apple cider and red hots and heat on medium till the candies completely dissolve. Pour into a bowl.
- Put the brown sugar and Clearjel into the pot and add the apple cider/candy mixture, stir to mix well.
- Bring to a boil and using a whisk cook until thick and bubbly, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add the lemon juice. Fold apples into mixture.
- Pack the apples into hot, sterilized quart size or two pint canning jars. Best way to fill is in layers.
- Using the funnel ladle one large scoop and using the spatula press the apples down in the jar to remove the bubbles.
- Continue filling using this technique so that you work your way up the jar with as little air bubbles as possible. Fill the jars and because of expansion use 2" headspace.
- Wipe the rims and place the hot lid/rings on the jars. Process in a water bath canner for 25 minutes for both pints and quart jars at a full rolling boil. Wait 5 minutes, remove and place on dishtowel overnight undisturbed.
- The next day remove rings and clean jars and label with recipe name and date. Store in a cool, dry, and dark place.
Blanched, sliced fresh apples - 6 quarts
Brown sugar - 5-1/2 cups
Clear Jel® - 1-1/2 cup
Apple cider - 7.5 cups
Bottled lemon juice - 3/4 cup
red hot candies - 1.5 cups
Leave a Reply