It’s amazing the flavor combinations that have been popping up on my site for this summer’s hottest drink, fruit lemonade concentrate. Based on a basic recipe from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving the popularity on my FB page has been a weekly post of some amazing flavors, both in singular fruits but now Whitney has come with a fantastic combination, Strawberry Kiwi!
From Whitney: I used the strawberry lemonade recipe and did half strawberries and half kiwi. I didn’t strain because the seeds don’t bother me, but I had some people ask about the seeds. I think it looks pretty, lol! I figure a couple of layers of cheesecloth will probably catch most of the seeds…
(I think it ended up being a large clamshell of strawberries and 9 kiwi – all from Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op).
Strawberry Kiwi Lemonade Concentrate
- 3 cups strawberries, cleaned and hulled
- 3 cups kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 cups sugar
- Makes 6-8 pints or 3 quarts of canned concentrate
- In a food processor, blender or bullet puree strawberries and kiwi in batches.
- Transfer strawberry/kiwi puree to a stainless steel saucepan over medium-high heat. DO NOT BOIL. Add lemon juice and sugar and stir to combine.
- Using a thermometer heat to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring occasionally. Because this recipe has sugar it will get to temperature rather quickly so keep your eye on the thermometer. Remove from heat.
- Ladle mixture into jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim, add hot lids and tighten rings just finger tight. Process in water bath canner at a boil for 15 minutes.
- To reconstitute, mix one part concentrate with one part water, tonic water or ginger ale. Adjust concentrate to suit your taste.
- **If you do not want to process this concentrate in canning jars, freeze the concentrate in 1 to 2 cup portions.