I was brainstorming what was missing from my cowboy candy that would turn it more into a pickle mix that I get when I go to my favorite mexican restaurant. Carrots, onion, and a touch of red peppers was the color and textures needed. After a bit of chopping and protecting my hands from stinging all night the veggies went into jars and out of the canner was my Happy Trails mix. It has the sweet heat from the vinegar and sugar, but now those intense flavors and the heat from the peppers will transform my carrots and additional ingredients into works of magic! Enjoy
Happy Trails Candy
- 1 1/2 lb fresh jalapenos
- 1 cup sliced carrots (lengthwise or circles)
- 4 lb medium red peppers (sweet or hot - not bells - I used Anaheim that had turned from green to red)
- 1 pc. small onion - halved then sliced
- 2 cup cider vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- Slice jalapenos and add the carrots, peppers and onions. Mix cider vinegar, sugar, mustard seed and garlic in a medium stainless steel pot, bringing to a slow boil.
- Reduce for 5 minutes to a simmer. Add jalapenos and other veggies and continue at the simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Load sterilized jars with jalapenos and veggie mixture first and then add liquid filling the jars leaving a 1/4 headspace. Remove air and refill if necessary. Wipe rim, add hot lids/rings and process in a water bath for 15 minutes.
- Makes 7 half pints.