Two flavors that taste great together are apples and cranberries. It’s a combination jam that I have wanted to work on but wanted a unique flavor that was different. Over the last few months I have experimented with the more unusual spices to break from the basics. One of the more intriguing has been Cardamom and the flavor inside those little pistachio shaped pods. I had worked with the powder but for the “curiosity” of it I wanted to shell the pods and get the stuff in the middle. From the “Flavor Bible” the pairing of the three, cranberries, apples and cardamom gave me just reinforcement to get this jam on the stove!
Cranapple Cardamom Jam
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and chopped apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (you can use just 1/2 cinnamon and 1/2 allspice)
- Combine all ingredients in a stainless steel pot or enameled dutch oven and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes till cranberries have popped and the jam thickens.
- Prepare 4 half pint jars by sterilizing them in hot water for 10 minutes. Drop in lids into the hot water as well.
- Once the jam has thickened and mounds on a spoon remove from heat and ladle into jars leaving 1/4" headspace. Remove air bubbles, refill if necessary.
- Wipe rims and add hot lids/rings. Process in water bath for 10 minutes at a full rolling boil.