A ton of peaches and the need for variety. I can go to the store and get a jar of peach preserve so why would I make them plain.
Peach Jam - Basic recipe
- 6 cups Peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 5 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1 box powdered pectin
- To make this a low sugar recipe: Reduce sugar to 2 cups and add 3 T. Ball Flex batch no sugar/low sugar pectin or a box of Sure-Jell low sugar pectin.
- Wash and slice or chop fully-ripe peaches. Crush fruit. Place crushed fruit and 1/2 cup water in a large dutch over. Cover, bring to a boil adding sugar as you stir.
- Then add powdered pectin and lemon juice. Bring to a full boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, quickly skim off foam. Pour jelly immediately into hot, sterile canning jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
- For Blueberry version cook to 220 degrees 2 cups of blueberries down to a pulp. Alternate peach jelly and blueberry in the jar and process.
- For Vanilla add 2 t. of vanilla paste the basic peach jelly. I get my vanilla paste from William's Sonoma for the most delicious taste.. much better than vanilla extract. You can also use a whole vanilla bean split open to expose the beans.
- For Cinnamon add 1 Tablespoon of to the basic peach jelly before the boil. For a really awesome flavor I use a Penzey's Ceylon Cinnamon.
- Yield: About 5 or 6 half-pint jars