- 2 T olive oil (for frying only)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced (I used 4 cloves)
- 1 pc. large eggplant, sliced, pared, and cut in small cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed basil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Few grains black pepper
- 1 cup canned tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup red wine vinegar (5% acidity) (white vinegar can be substituted)
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces (optional)
- Heat the oil and garlic in a large, heavy skillet. Add the eggplant, green pepper, onion, and parsley; toss to mix.
- Cover tightly and cook over low heat about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, blend sugar, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Add tomato paste, water, and vinegar; mix well. Add to mixture in skillet and stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook gently until eggplant is tender.
- The eggplant will definitely loose its firmness due to stirring, but that's ok.
- Ladle into jars, remove air bubbles and fill to 1/2 headspace.
- Wipe rims, add hot lids and rings. Process in water bath 15 minutes for half-pint jars and 20 minutes for pint jars.
- Makes 5 cups