Artichokes are low in calories, packed in water, and pasta shells should be whole wheat. Shrimp is low in calories but high in cholesterol. The entire dish as a whole is excellent in nutritional value.
- 20 oz artichoke hearts
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh cut parsley tops (rinsed)
- 1 tsp sea salt ground
- 1 tsp lemon shredded peel (zest)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (fresh if you have it)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb medium whole wheat shells
- 1 lb medium tiger shrimp cooked, fresh frozen
- 1 medium chopped red onion
- 1 pint red cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted black California olives
- Mix the artichokes (drained), olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, sea salt, lemon zest, oregano, garlic and freshly ground black pepper in in sauce pan. Heat until it simmers, covered; then let stand 30 minutes. If you wish, it may be refrigerated overnight.
- One hour prior to serving, cook whole wheat pasta shells until al dente (firm to the bite); drain and rinse in cool water and drain again.
- Toss cooked pasta with artichokes and marinade, the tiger shrimp, red onion, parsley, tomatoes and black olives. Serve immediately.
- SBcanning truly enjoys this recipe and knows you will too. It is terrific and serves 6 - 8 people. Enjoy!